Bodegas Rioja Vega was established in 1882 by Don Felipe Ugalde. This was the time when French winemasters were fleeing over the Pyrenees to escape Phylloxera. They found a climate and soil in Rioja where they new they could once again make great wines. So before the D.O. Rioja even existed, the region was already part of the name of this bodega. Nearly 125 years later, Rioja Vega has 70 hectares of vineyard.
In 1983, the bodega became part of the Grupo Vitivinicola Principe de Viana and since then this winery has seen strong growth, without however, losing sight of quality and skill. 70% of the production in sold nationally and 30% is exported to more than fifteen countries. The bodega and its cellars are impressive. The bodega has been fully renovated and has employed the most modern techniques since 2001.